AMPLIFY Digital Arts Initiative is an initiative developed by the British Council in partnership with MUTEK (Canada/Argentina) and Somerset House Studios (UK). Since 2018, the programme has connected an active network in Argentina, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Peru and the UK.
AMPLIFY DAI is a platform that creates international visibility in the industry for women-identified artists and curators. The programme offers networking opportunities, showcases, exhibitions and performances, residencies, workshops, creative labs and field trips.
This opportunity is open to women identified artists (aged 18 and above) who currently live in the UK, Canada and Argentina, whether they are citizens or permanent residents.
We are looking for proposals that explore new aesthetic directions in digital creation which can include:
- Live presentations of experimental electronic music (DJ sets will not be accepted, only original artists' productions).
- Live audiovisual presentations that include an innovative use of digital image and sound, in which the auditory and visual are a unique entity.
- Interactive and audiovisual installations
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality projects.
- Project that defies the conventions of the digital creation sphere.
Selected artists will:
- Participate in the UK Amplify residency in London at Somerset House Studios in summer 2021
- Participating artists will receive an artist fee, travel and accommodation
- Participants are expected to be available for the full duration of residencies
- Some candidates will be offered the possibility to participate in MUTEK Montreal (Late Summer 2020) and MUTEK.AR (Buenos Aires, early Autumn 2020)
- Travel and accommodation will be provided.
If you are interested in applying for Amplify DAI residencies in Argentina and Canada, you can find more information here:
- Deadline for application: 16 February (23.59 GMT)
- Evaluation panel meeting: February 2020
- Contact with the selected participants: March 2020
- Public announcement: March/April 2020
Applications will be reviewed by a panel including curators of the international MUTEK network together with representatives of the British Council and Somerset House Studios.
To apply, please complete the online form with all the required information.
Apply here - Amplify open call - UK
Please consider the eligibility criteria and the content requested carefully before applying, making sure to follow the guidelines above.
For questions or concerns about this call, contact us by sending an email with the subject "Call 2020-Amplify" to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the volume of submissions, artists will only be contacted if they are being considered for the AMPLIFY DAI programme. We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest!
We are committed to equal opportunities and to reflect diversity in our programming and at every level within our organisations. This initiative is part of our wider strategy to support the participation of women-identified artists and curators to increase gender equality in the digital arts sector.
THE BRITISH COUNCIL
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
In 2018 MUTEK Montréal achieved gender parity in its program for the first time. Building on this accomplishment the festival remains committed to opening space for women, non-binary and diverse artists—providing opportunities for performance, exhibition, career building, workshops and networking. A not-for-profit organization dedicated to the dissemination and development of digital creativity in sound, music, and audiovisual art since its first edition in 2000, the festival has distinguished itself as an international rendezvous. Over the years, MUTEK has expanded to include recurrent editions in Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Tokyo, Dubai and San Francisco.
SOMERSET HOUSE STUDIOS
Somerset House Studios is an experimental workspace in the centre of London connecting artists, makers and thinkers with audiences. Located inside the repurposed former Inland Revenue building, the Studios offer space and support to artists pushing bold ideas, engaging with urgent issues and pioneering new technologies. It is also a platform for the development of new creative projects and collaborations. Up to 100 artists are resident at any one time and are supported to develop their practice for a defined period. The Studios is also home to Makerversity, a community of 300+ professional makers and Studio 48, a shared workspace for individuals and groups working critically at the intersection of design and technology. https://www.somersethouse.org.uk/